Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Simple Things

Yesterday during lunch I was talking with one of my students about his birthday that just past. He is a community kid, so he lives at home with his family and was able to have areal party. He was telling me all about the gifts he got: money, clothes, games, etc. So I asked him if he had a favorite. He responded with much joy in his eyes, "A card! My dad sent me a card."
What a difference a simple card can make.

Today was the first time I had to say goodbye to one of my students. All week he has been telling us that he was going to get released. So he went to court this morning and came to school around 11am. He was beaming! And sure enough he was released from our program. I ran into him as he was gathering up his things and I told him that I was happy for him but that I was sad to see him go. A little later we walked up to me, gave me a hug and said he would never forget me or our talks.
What a difference a simple hug can make.

I must admit that I am scared for him. I am scared that being back in his 'hood with his gang affiliations will lead him to make stupid decisions. But I know many of us at Optimist spoke a different message than one he has ever heard before and I just hope that message continues to resound in his heart as he heads back to the 'hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment